3.3.09

Excuse me?

I was working on Sunday, and a group of three women walked past. My coworker asked them if they wanted a ride. They said, "No, thanks."

I chimed in as they passed me, "Well, if you change your mind, tours start at $30 for all three of you."

That actually got them to stop. I continued to explain all the aspects of the carriage rides. Two of the women were like, "OK, we'll see... We're going to go in the visitor's center." Which is fine. We're all being polite here.

Then the third woman--the youngest--screws up her face and asks, "Are these horses well-taken care of? I mean, do they get all the proper care and food and stuff?"

I'm so tired of that. It's not like she said, "You can tell this horse is well-taken care of," or "What kind of care does this horse get that he looks so good?" Her question was laced with the whole carriage-horses-AREN'T-taken-care-of-properly smugness of an outsider who has only read the anti-carriage propaganda.

So I straightened myself up, looked her right in the eye and asked her, "What kind of person do you think I am? Do you honestly think I would do this job if the horses weren't being taken care of?"

"I don't know," she stammered, "I don't know you. I don't know what kind of person you are."

"Well, look at Tomahawk," I continued, "Does he look like he's well-fed?"

She nodded.

"Does he look like he's well-groomed?"

"Yes."

"Well, then, what about him would make you ask me if he was well taken care of?"

She struggled for an answer. "Um... He's wearing harness."

"So?"

She didn't have an answer for that.

Since when is wearing a harness a bad thing? It's no different from a saddle or a bridle or a bareback pad or a surcingle or an Indian wedding costume...

5 comments:

Lisa Deon said...

When it comes to horses the average person is clueless. So many civilans walk past,and with great authority in their voice, say "THAT is a Clydesdale."

"Um, no sir, Tony is a Belgian."

"Well she looks like a Clydesdale."

Slave Driver, pointing in the genital area because apparently the man didn't pick up on Tony's name

"No he doesn't.

I think people equate us with Carnival workers. Like we're trying to cheat them. I especially love it when they try to "barter." Like this is the straw market in Nassau.

Peeba76 has some excellent videos up on his Central Park Carriage Horses:From the Horses Mouth blog. If I was handier with my camcorder and knew WTF I was doing I'd do some of my own. I should get Stace to help, she always has great vids up on Jumping Percheron.

You have a fabulous day.

Christina said...

Ah, yes... I have a post about how Tom is NOT a Clydesdale in my earlier posts.

I know that the general public is clueless about horses, but the particular point about THIS rant of mine was that the public seems to think that merely WEARING A HARNESS is bad.

Belle's personal assistant said...

Hello, I just found your blog from following Slave Driver. I am a former Salt Lake Slave Driver, myself.

When I lived in Pennsylvania and was in 4-H, I remember the anti horse terrorists that persecuted us kids for saddling our horses and riding them.

I am glad that I live in Wyoming now so that my kids don't deal with that.

Fortunately for me Belle IS a clydesdale. But most people are horrified by her mustache. (and those are the horse people)

People are REALLY weird.

人妻 said...

Hな人妻たちの社交場、割り切った付き合いも当然OK!欲求不満のエロ人妻たちを好みに合わせてご紹介します。即会い、幼な妻、セレブ、熟女、SM妻、秘密、以上6つのジャンルから遊んでみたい女性を選んでください

Anonymous said...

Wow. I always would tell people I'd bet them money that the horses were taken care of much, MUCH better than some people take care of themselves or their children.

At my last barn everyone of course loved my Perch. She's a novelty so of course she draws a crowd of admirers where ever we go.

These weirdo Parrell-ites across the barn street had never a negative thing to say until one day I harnessed my Perch. They'd always just seen us out riding. They didn't know I was teaching her to drive too. I ground drove her by them in her harness and the Parelli-ite lady says "Awwww..." in this pathetic, whiny voice. Aww WHAT? Jesus christ you guys see me everyday and know I treat my horse like she's made out of gold with encrusted diamonds. Wtf is so *GASP* horrible about a freakin' harness? Don't be sad 'cause my horse is more versatile than your 4 Parelli-ite horses combined.